[rollei_list] Re: OT Re: What is Velox? What are lantern slides?

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 18:01:23 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Eric Goldstein" <egoldste@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, August 21, 2006 2:24 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: OT Re: What is Velox? What are lantern slides?

Don Williams wrote:

As far as a printer is concerned, all it takes is an enlarger as a light source and a sheet of glass to hold the negative and paper flat on the platen.

Don Williams
La Jolla, CA

As far as the box, operating it was half the fun for a kid. As far as the image, it is difficult if not impossible to duplicate the look of the old materials. As far as the process, I think Edward Weston had it right... when he was poor and struggling he shot old pawn shop RR lenses and cameras and contact printed them on improvised frames with a goose neck desk lamp for a light source...

BTW every time Kodak would change a negative or paper formulation he would go out and get good and drunk because years of learning the materials was lost and he had to start from scratch...

Eric Goldstein ---

Weston doesn't say much about materials in his day books. He does mention Velour Black at least once. This was an early enlarging paper and presumably he contact printed on it. Types of film could be told from the negatives, I have no idea what he used at various times. Ansel Adams in some book or article talks about giving Weston new but opened boxes of film on the basis that it was surplus because Weston often could not afford materials. I am also under the impression that Adams, and others, helped Weston with technical problems.
All the Weston prints I've seen were mounted or under glass. If one can see the back some papers can be identified, at least double weight Kodak papers can because their paper making machines left a recognizable pattern on the screen side. It is sometimes possible to identify at least the maker of a paper from any texturing and surface finish. Weston worked mainly with glossy paper so this is probably not an option.
BTW, I have seen both excellent and just awful Weston prints. Many of the prints in the collection at the Huntington Library are just terrible, dark and low contrast. This is not from age but from some bad practice in printing. Other prints, for instance some at the Getty, definitely made by the elder Weston and not one of his sons, are excellent. I have no idea of what to attribute this to. What puzzled me about the Huntington prints was that so many were bad in a consistent way. They were donated by his family and, perhaps, were rejects. The reproductions of these prints in the catalogue were excellent, enormously better than the originals.
At the time Weston was doing most of his work the three main sources of sheet film and printing paper in the US were Kodak, Agfa, and Defender. All three made some good papers.
I think it is hazardous to make attributions without pretty definite evidence. In Weston's case there is too much myth and one must be very careful.

On the subject of the "look" of old materials, I am never certain of what this refers to. It is often difficult to describe something of this sort, which may be very subtle (or not), but, without more description I can't decide whether I agree or disagree.
I feel a very bad pun coming on (feels something like a sneeze) so will sign off now.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx