[rollei_list] Re: OT: Proposed UK "orphan works" bill affects us all.

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 01:26:19 -0500

At 01:17 AM 2/23/2010, Neil Purling wrote:
>That's the damn French at work isn't it. they have Draconian privacy
>laws don't they?
>Imagine if you had a shot of the crowd at a Cup Final or New Year in
>Trafalgar Square? The law is ludicrous!
>
>We should tell the EU mind their own business and get on with making
>their own laws & we will look after our own.
>As you can tell I hate the EU. Someone please hide the soap box

I really am at a loss as to just what the problem might be in this.

First, we do have International Law, something which has applied to the US ever since 1776.

Second, the EU has been ramping up the period of copyright for decades, and the US keeps following suit at their insistence. (No, the last revision was NOT the "Mickey Mouse" copyright law: it was the EU-demanded copyright law.)

These strictures have simply screwed a lot of researches, who find it impossible to properly cite long passages (more than "fair comment) for works where the holder of the copyright is long gone. So, an exemption for orphan works is needed and delightful.

Me? I want to go back to the old system, where everything was public domain in what, 24 years? That seems very fair.

I used to drive folks on the Rollei List nuts when I pointed out that I encouraged researchers to cite as much as they wanted out of my two books. It frightens me that these books will probably be in copyright into the next century. Argh!

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!