[rollei_list] Re: OT: Pre-war Contax II received

  • From: CarlosMFreaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 15:55:48 -0300

2010/9/4 CarlosMFreaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>:
> I'm waiting for the next week a Contax II I bought for spare parts or
> to practice camera restoration, this Contax does not look good
> aesthetically (several "Zeiss bumps") and is not working, but it is
> complete with the original leather case. The interesting point about
> the camera is the Sonnar 2/50 lens, it is coated with the red "T" in
> the lens ring, the s/n is "Carl Zeiss Jena Nr 3006362",

To update the post above, I have received the Contax II today, it
looks better than in the photographs, the back has 9 "Zeiss bumps",
the shutter does not work and something is wrong with the telemeter,
anyway I won't send it to repair, it will be a spare parts source for
my other Contax. The camera serial number is B. 59312 and then it
looks a pre-war Contax II provided with a post-war  T Sonnar f2/5cm
from March 1947. My "good" other Contax is sn B.33268 from 1937.

The T Sonnar 2/5cm is in very good condition really, it only needs a
good CLA, it does not show "cleaning" marks, fungus or haze. The
coating looks pristine showing purple and golden reflections like my
Rolleiflex 3.5F Planar. This lens shows a few construction differences
regarding the uncoated Sonnar 1.5/5cm. It has a big black arrow as
reference for the f stops where the uncoated 1.5 has a dot; the lens
mount has a larger area painted black and the coated one does not have
the uncoated 1.5 two little "ears" to turn the f/stops ring, it has a
channaled ring to do it.