[rollei_list] Re: OT: Post-War T coated Sonnar 2/50 lens

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2010 17:23:39 -0400

At 06:52 AM 9/4/2010, CarlosMFreaza wrote:
>2010/9/4 Marc James Small
>> Didn't I send you one of my LTM lens books?  Argh!  I thought I had!...>
>
>BTW I had read the Appendix A, pages 90 and 91 of your book and I
>recalled about your camera, my comment was like a reasoning to myself
>to reinforce the facts during a stormy historical period.

Well, it was indeed "a stormy historical period", Carlos. But look at the front cover of my LTM lens book. There is a shot of an LTM 2/5cm CZJ Sonnar T from the next batch after yours. I can send additional pictures of that one and of the one I have in Contax RF BM from your batch, if you wish! <he grins>

Carl Zeiss Jena kept rolling along through the War through desperate measures but things really fell apart after APR 1945 when the plant was taken by the US 80th Infantry Division (my unit, years later). There was no real currency in circulation and mere survival was the name of the game. The Reichsmark became worthless (though it was later revalued, in 1949, when the Bundesmark replaced it). So it became an exchange economy, where products were not sold but traded. A carton of cigarettes, for instance, earned you a month with a courtesan, a loaf of bread got you a couple of Pickelhaube helmets.

The survival of the VW auto works at Wolfsberg are really illustrative. The company was owned by the Nazi Party, and, so, ceased to have any legal ownership after VE Day. But the British Army needed cars, so a very improper deal was struck: the British Army got steel and the like to VW, and VW made Kübelwagen cars for the British Army. And the VW management went to local banks and, quite improperly, guaranteed the pay to its workers, so the banks arranged for landlords to be compensated and grocers to be paid. It was all quite illegal -- but VW survived. (My daily driver is an '84 Audi 4000S, and I am a loyal VW consumer!) Similar events occurred at Jena, though the burden fell on middle management, as the US Army had kidnapped the senior management to Heidenheim and Oberkochen.

We just do not know for whom these early 3,xxx,xxx lenses were made. A noted wartime Leica scholar has suggested to me that these lenses were produced as part of a coöperative deal with Leitz at Wetzlar to provide lenses for the final run of IIIcK cameras, but he and I differ on whether there ever was a final run of IIIcK cameras -- I believe that the primary Leitz product after V-E Day was the basic one-roller-bearing IIIc. I simply cannot imagine the management of either company at that time having such a reasoned approach to a marketing plan. The late Charlie Barringer and I discussed this at great length but never came to any sort of conclusions. At this remove, we just do not know, though then-Sergeant Emil Keller, who ran Leitz for the US Army from 1945 to 1948, denied that Leitz and Zeiss had any contact at all during this time.

Most of these lenses were made for the Contax RF, but that camera had been out of production since the last O model in 1942. Perhaps CZJ was looking forward to the Jena Contax, which would come on the scene in 1946 for its brief flourishing before production shifted to the Arsenal Works in Kiev, and the IIa and IIIa were only distant gleams on the horizon in 1945.

It was an interesting time, in many regards, but most records have been lost. The factory production records only survived through Proletarian Inefficiency, as it was simpler just to shove closed files into closets than to throw them away -- both Zeiss Ikon in Stuttgart and Carl Zeiss in Oberkochen were much more efficient, actually taking pride in "recycling" their production records. And the production records from Jena have gaps and errors in them, which we are only sorting out slowly through comparison with the real-world Zeiss Lens List, presently unavailable. (I am on the committee slowly moving this to a web presence: stay tuned for developments!)

Trying to figure out the details of CZJ production in 1945 is akin to trying to meditate on the exact time when the "recomputed" Tessar was actually put onto the Postwar Contaflex SLR.

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!