[rollei_list] Re: OT Pianos

  • From: Dirk-Roger Schmitt <Dirk-Roger.Schmitt@xxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 17:36:53 +0200

What about this fine "glass" piano:

http://www.schimmel-piano.de/glasfluegel.html

Made in Braunschweig, home town of Rollei, Voigtlander, Volkswagen, Schimmel, Steinweg.

Dirk

At 17:26 31.08.2006, you wrote:
I have spent the last 18 months picking out a concert piano. I have played just about everything and have strong opinions.

I regard the Steinway as a fine piano. Its design is truly great. Of the two Steinway factories, the Hamburg one seems to produce to a higher standard. Both have a "Steinway" sound, though if you play them you notice the Hamburg sounds clearer than the New York. The New York has a rich, thick tone, which can be wonderful and alluring when it has been properly prepared. The New York and the Hamburg use different hammers. I prefer the Hamburg's.

I have owned a New York and a Hamburg B (6 foot 10) and prefer the Hamburg to the New York. My New York always had an annoying brassyness in the treble to it that the tech never removed. My hunch is that if I had had one of the good rebuilders replace the New York hammers and put Hamburg or German ones on it, I would have found the New York's tone more alluring. As it is, I love my Hamburg Steinway!

My hunch is that the New York B had over lacquered hammers. Steinway New York first lacquers the hammers to harden them and then pinpricks them to mellow them out. My feeling is that my piano's hammers were overlacquered. I heard about a concert Steinway in the Middle West that was sounding horrible. The local tech thought that short of restringing the piano the problem would not go away. A well respected rebuilder was brought in, he took the action home, put new hammers on and adjusted the mechanical parts. After that, the piano sounded great. As I say, the Steinway design is great, wonderful. You need someone to work on it who knows the ins and outs of the piano. My feeling is that while people praise the older American Steinways, the newer ones would be just as praiseworthy if they were attended to by the good rebuilders. The Steinway design just needs to be brought out.

I've played the Boesendorfer Imperial, which is 9 foot six, or 290cm, not 11 feet, as someone wrote. The Fazioli is 10'6" I believe. The action of the Imperial at the New York dealer is fantastic. The piano's ability to play loud and soft unequaled. That is true of all the piano's at Boesendorfer New York. The dealer has prepped them well. The Fazioli dealer does the same thing. The pianos are voiced and regulated to show well in both stores. When you play them, you have a good idea of what you are playing.. That isn't always the case everywhere.

--- Rollei List

--- Rollei List