[rollei_list] Re: OT: Photographic film

  • From: Kirk Thompson <thompsonkirk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Rollei List <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 21:50:55 -0700

Well, yes & no.  This has been discussed elsewhere, & it's in some measure
attributable to the 'last man standing' effect.  With less competition, Ilford
has absorbed a bigger share of a shrinking overall market.  And the processing
labs that remain may indeed have more work to do, after many local labs have
closed & chains like Ritz have shut so many locations.

This is certainly true in my area, where the remaining custom lab is open &
busy.  The owner is the 'last woman standing' in a field of
closures/bankruptcies.  Her small business has gained customers through the
closure of two much larger labs.

At any rate, Rollei film seems safe - we even two improved film stocks (Portra
160 & 400).

Kirk