[rollei_list] Re: OT Olympus XA (was Re: Rolleiflex 35mm Cameras)

  • From: Allen Zak <azak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 11:29:34 -0500

On Nov 12, 2009, at 10:12 PM, Mark Rabiner wrote:

Although the vignetting was quite noticeable at wider apertures, from
f4 on down the lens was sharp enough for my purposes, and I kind of
liked the falloff.  It imparted a certain "signature" to the images,
similar to a 1950s-'60s European vogue of heavy edge burning.  On my
sample, @ f11 or so, the effect was minimal.  After its demise I
replaced the XA with a Stylus, a nice enough camera with a better lens,
but not as flexible and with an annoying shutter lag that was totally
absent on the XA, a true "decisive moment" machine I consider equal in
that regard to Leica and Rollei. One example of XA capabilities can be
found in a book of photographs by Lou Stettner, who used one
exclusively for personal and poetic street photography. Unfortunately,
I don't remember the title and can't find it on an internet search.

Allen Zak

They are known as "Clamshells" a classic Yoshihisa Maitani thing amongst
many.
The Clamshell moment in photography was decisive.
And long lasting.
As in there are digital clamshells now in effect.
Only buy them in months with "r's" in them

http://www.camerapedia.org/wiki/Yoshihisa_Maitani
He died 4 months ago
look at the picture of the  XA clamshell.
Fresh.
A little butter a little lemon.....

Mark William Rabiner

I am saddened to learn of Maitani's passing. He was a great designer, responsible not only for the "clamshell" but other innovative designs. The Pen F and OM lines were also his projects, I believe.

Allen Zak