[rollei_list] Re: OT Olympus XA (was Re: Rolleiflex 35mm Cameras)

  • From: CarlosMFreaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 21:07:10 -0300

If you are talking about the Petri Color 35, (externally, an almost
Rollei 35 copy  with some slight differences), the site you mentioned
says (comparing 35S and P35Color size): "Overall the Petri is slightly
larger and 2 oz heavier...":
Rollei:97 W x 60 H x 32 D(mm)
Petri C 35:101x64x 43mm
From the same site:
Lens:"40/2.8 Petri, no other lens choices,  a sharp lens, but not as
good as the Rollei Sonnar or Tessar, collapses halfway into body" (it
is not fully retracted)
About the Rollei 35: "Legendary quality that the Rollei 35 is famous
for, the best mechanical fit, finish, and precision in any compact 35"
OK, he says the Petri has a better general design, but that is his
opinion, of course.

Petri cameras in general are very good cameras, very wel built, I have
one of them but SLR FTII, excellent optics too, I couldn't give an
opinion about the Petri color 35 because I never used it, it was an
answer to the Rollei 35 and it's evident they tried to improve some
points that  they considered bad points in the Rollei 35 design,
however it could be interesting to note that every point in the Rollei
35 had a reason to be that way, the flash shoe was below because the
flash units were heavy too much when the Rollei 35 was designed  and
they preferred to avoid any extra weight at the top of the camera. The
lens was retracted with the shutter cocked because Waaske wanted the
camera could be ready to shoot hardly the lens was in position. The
two wheels were an original Waaske design and Rollei did not modify
them because they were in the Rolleiflex TLR tradition.

Carlos