[rollei_list] Re: OT Olympus XA (was Re: Rolleiflex 35mm Cameras)

  • From: Eric Goldstein <egoldste@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 16:19:05 -0500

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 3:33 PM, Allen Zak <azak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> For the focal length, the RF was entirely adequate, in my experience.

Hi Alan -

You may recall we started this thread because the Rollei 35 has no
rangefinder, and many commented that even with its 40 mm lens there
was no need for one. So a marginal rangefinder worked OK on this
camera.

> For exposure, I mostly relied on the vast latitude of color negative or B&W
> film to pull me through complex lighting situations, but there were other
> means of controlling exposure.  Backlight compensation was provided with a
> switch that added exposure by +1.5 f stops (+2 in my sample.)  In addition,
> however, a fine degree of manual override was made possible by adjusting
> ASA, a technique I used often.

That back light lever tripled as the self-timer switch and a camera
support! I suspect we all used the ASA control for exposure comp, but
as it only went up to ASA 800, there was no help in many situations...

Sorry if it sounds like I'm calling someone's baby ugly, because I'm
not. It is an ok camera with an ok lens. I think it's best feature was
that, at the time, it was about the smallest 35 mm full frame option
around, so at least you had a camera with you to capture something...

Eric Goldstein