[rollei_list] Re: OT: Oboe solos was: Re: Re: My Personal Future

  • From: Marc James Small <msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 23:43:36 -0500

At 10:38 PM 3/27/06 -0500, Aaron Reece wrote:
>On Mar 26, 2006, at 9:21 PM, Marc James Small wrote:I have never heard an
>oboe solo, to my memory
>
>Sure you have, you just don't know it. One of the consolations for playing
>the cantankerousest instrument in the whole dang band is that oboists get
>the best orchestral solos, bar none. Some examples:Orig. version of Jesu,
>Joy of Man's Desiring by J.S. "Big Daddy" BachBeginning of 2nd movt.
>(Marcia funebre) of Beethoven's 3rd symph.Opening of "Swan Lake" by
>TschaikovskiiOpening of "Polovstian Dances" from "Prince Igor" by
>BorodinBeginning of second movement of Violin Concerto by Samuel
>BarberSecond movement of "Sheherezade" by Rimskii-Korsakoff, right after
>the bassoon soloFirst movement of "Symphonic Metamorphoses on themes of
>Carl Maria von Weber" by HindemithOpening of 2nd movt. of Brahms' 2nd
>symph.Overture to "Italian in Algiers" by RossiniBeginning of "Le Tombeau
>de Couperin" by Raveletc. etc.-Aaron

Wow.  It never hurts to be corected by an expert!  If you and your most
charming spouse and brood will visist us in Richmond, well, I promise not
to ask for an oboe solo!  We can dine al fresco at Coppola's or indoors at
the Tobacco Company, as you guys wish -- and, yes, the Tobacco Company DOES
have a non-smoking section.

Just for yucks, we can visit St John's Epscopal Church, formerly the
Henrico Parish Church, where Patrick Henry stated, "I know not what course
others may take but, as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"  His
earlier regicide rants were all made in Williamsburg, but this one is
authentic Richmond.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!