[rollei_list] Re: OT OT Digital

  • From: Michael Eric Berube <pj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 13:08:51 -0400

I feed my family with a Nikon D200, a Nikon D70 and a Nikon D70s at the moment.

I sold my excellent but heavy D2h, my first D70 and my original DSLR D100.
I will probably get another D200 to replace the basic D70 soon, but as it is rumoured that we're expecting an announcement from Nikon on the 26th or so regarding a new camera and maybe some lenses, we'll see what they come up with before I make any purchases. I had entertained the thought of a Fuji S5, but in shooting with one, found it not fast enough to meet my needs. I also prefer compressed RAW and the Fuji's RAW shots are 25MB each.

I prefer the D200 to the D2 for exactly the same reasons that I preferred the F100 over the F5. 98% of the flagship camera (which more than meets my needs or wants) for half the price and size. All I really want from Nikon for a body is a D200"S" with the low noise/great high ISO performance and the dynamic range of a Fuji S5 but want to maintain the smaller faster NEFs, AF and FPS that my D200 has. The ability to also take SD as well as CF and having even better battery performance would be nice too, but they are not a deal breakers. (No, I don't want or need more MPs...10.2 is more than enough for the wedding/portrait work that I do.) While Canons do produce great low noise images and nicely take all manner of great classic lenses (Leica R glass for example), their ergonomics don't fit my hands nor style of shooting and I find Nikon's iTTL better suited to the look that I've developed than improving ETTL II provides.

Be well,
Michael Eric Berube
GoodPhotos.com

Hacks4ever@xxxxxxx wrote:
I was just curious when you most of you choose to shot digital, what you are using? Thanks, Sandi