[rollei_list] OT Monitors (was Re: another Epson scan)

  • From: Eric Goldstein <egoldste@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 20:15:13 -0400

Richard Knoppow wrote:

I have not compared power demand. The flat screen units have a number of advantages for non critical use, for instance for computer displays of data; they certainly take up less space. In terms of critical image quality they can be quite misleading as is apparent when the two types are seen side by side.
We are in the process of converting from Sony tube monitors to NEC flat screen in all control rooms as part of the upgrade (?) to HD. The flat screen types also allow the use of very large monitors with multiple screen adapters. This is more compact for locations that must monitor many sources, for instance, for showing all the satellite returns for a given feed. We are also upgrading audio monitoring to allow hearing 5.1 in all control rooms. Wonderful, but the programs are still the same.

:-) The programs themselves are not likely to get any better any time soon, either. Maybe it doesn't matter whether we can judge the image quality after all; it seems few others can see the difference...

In terms of power, the solid state devices use about 1/10th the power of the CRTs 30 w or so versus 300... significant difference. Like you say, space utilization is a big plus also for remote trucks and sat feed rooms...

Eric Goldstein --- Rollei List