[rollei_list] Re: OT MapplethorpE

  • From: sanders@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2010 13:04:18 -0700

Marvin, it's hard to take your claims about art and photography seriously. Apart from the preposterous claim that one person (Robert Mapplethorpe) sits astride all photographers in his mastery of the square -- a claim you root in academic expertise -- you can't even spell Robert Mapplethorpe's name (there's an "e" on the end), or Richard Avedon's for that matter.

Regarding Avedon, you claim: "Interesting IMHO Mapplethorp was a master of composition, Avendon [sic] didn't share this talent, I'm thinking of Avendon's his [sic] full length portraits." Your point is a non sequitur since, after all, this is a discussion of composition in squares.  (You started this by claiming that Mapplethorpe "is considered the master of the [square] format," using a clunky Hasselblad.)  But in squares Richard Avedon was a master of composition, every bit Mapplethorpe's equal, if not master, witness for example a few quick examples pulled from Google, a handful among many:

http://www.tdbimg.com/files/2009/05/12/img-mg---avedon-fashion-5_094904624548.jpg

http://www.closetcouture.com/attachments/blogentry/2002/

http://pdnedu.blogs.com/.a/6a00d8341ce76f53ef01156f92b801970c-800wi

http://www.paisleypetunia.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/14avedon-500.jpg

http://stateoftheart.popphoto.com/.a/6a00d83452517869e201156f925eef970c-800wi

And of course Avedon shot a Rolleiflex.

(I save for a rainy day your contention that Avedon was less than a master of the rectangle.)

Your dismissal of Helmut Newton goes off on another non sequitur, feminism -- a nice way of ducking the issue you yourself framed, the mastery of composition in squares. Please, feminism aside, enlighten us as to where Mr. Newton fails in his composition in squares?

I suppose Irving Penn's work in squares is not worth even a mention beside the genius of your Mapplethorpe. And Robert Doisneau and Willy Ronis obviously don't count -- they're French.  (Just kidding, M. Bigler.  :-D )

I am a great admirer of Robert Mapplethorpe's work but this sort of ignorance masquerading as intellect takes stupid to a whole new level.

Sanders McNew

--- Rollei List - Post to rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx - Subscribe at rollei_list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'subscribe' in the subject field OR by logging into www.freelists.org - Unsubscribe at rollei_list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe' in the subject field OR by logging into www.freelists.org - Online, searchable archives are available at //www.freelists.org/archives/rollei_list