[rollei_list] Re: OT: Light bulb for slide viewer

  • From: Laurence cuffe <cuffe@xxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 21:44:19 +0000

Thinking about this. Watts are power so for same watts, we have the same power. Halogen lamps put more power into the Visible spectrum, so there must be less in the IR, This sounds like anti Blackbody magic, but they do this by moving the spectral peak further into the visible, thus having a higher color temperature. This is good for viewing. Less IR proportionately should be better for the reflectors etc, however as has been noted the outer envelope of the bulb is likely to run hotter. As conduction is probably an important cooling mechanism in these machines, its not clear from a theoretical viewpoint that the Halogen bulb will cause a problem, but equally its not clear that it wont.

My bet is on the Halogen.
All the best
Larry cuffe

On 19 Aug 2010, at 18:20, James Richard Tyrer wrote:

On 08/18/10 13:48, Eric Goldstein wrote:
James, you are forgetting the premise of my comment... that ideally
you want more light in these viewers. I know that the halogen
replacements I use in my 50s/60s stereo viewers are substantially
brighter than the original lamps, but they generate more heat, and
only some viewers can handle them.

I'd be interested in knowing of any incandescent lamp that produces
more light and less heat with the same wattage.
The issue with the halogen lamps is not that they have higher Wattage and produce more heat, it is that the bulb itself gets hotter (higher temperature) and this can damage the socket.

IIUC, the noble gas (Xenon or Krypton) filled incandescent lamps produce slightly more and slightly higher temperature light with the same Wattage. At least they look brighter when used in a flashlight.

The only lamps that can produce more light with less heat are HID and fluorescent lamps and I don't think that either of them come in small enough sizes for your application. LED lamps produce more light (lumens) per Watt but they do not radiate the heat, they get hot and must be mounted on a heat sink to dissipate the heat.

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch