[rollei_list] Re: OT: Lessons Learned -- Canon DSLR

  • From: Elias_Roustom <elroustom@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 21:07:18 -0400

It's great you're having so much fun... I think that's the whole point of amateur photography.

It's also great that you're jumping right into the use of "vintage" lenses. I'm just discovering that pleasure for myself now - I'm getting much more interesting (and better) shots than with the kit lens. It'd be great to see some of the shots you take with all your different lenses, and to hear your opinion of the different M42 mount lenses.

Elias

On Jul 20, 2010, at 5:31 PM, Marc James Small wrote:

I have been having a ball learning my way around this T1i Rebel. I make no pretence about being an expert, but I have been enjoying the learning curve which, frankly, is not nearly as steep as I had thought. And the M42 adapter has given me a lot of fun as I dig out my Soveit MTO's and my Questar 3.5 and my Kiflitt lenses and shoot pictures of the local stop sign. I have a T-mount on order from B&H, which will add to the fun, as I will then be able to use my Leica APO-Televid and my Questar 700 and my Swift Lynx 60mm. Oh Frabjous Day! I have not yet tried to rig up my Leica Bellows II with my collection of macro lenses to the camera, but I have a fecalmatterload of adapters and know I can find a way to do so.

I have learned the difference between the Canon EF lens system and the later EF-S system. I have learned that Canon has not yet produced any L lenses in EF-S, though they have indicated that they shall be doing so. I have learned that L lenses come with lens hoods but that non-L lenses do not. I have learned that straight EF lenses have a green stripe, L lenses a red stripe, and EF-S lenses a silver stripe. I have even learned why Canon has steered clear of the 4/3 and Micro 4/3 systems.

I am sorry that the camera lacks both a port for a cable release and a PC socket but, what the hey: I got the camera on sale, and beggars cannot be choosers. As it is, one of our fine List Members has found a PC adapter so I will be able to use my monster flash, a Metz 45 CL4, when the mood strikes me to blind the far side of the Moon.

And now I can download pictures directly from the camera or from the card reader.

Again, it is a steep learning curve but an interesting one. I still feel more at home with a Contax II and a pocketful of lenses and some rolls of 100/21 ISO film. I am doing too much on full auto and not enough on aperture and shutter priority or even on full manual. That will come with time.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!