[rollei_list] Re: OT Leica finish on radios

  • From: Jerry Lehrer <glehrer@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2013 13:52:06 -0700

Richard,

The body coating on most early Leica cameras was "Vulcanite", which is hard rubber. I doubt that Vulcanized rubber would make a good finish for amateur radio transmitters and receivers. They used vacuum tubes and ran extremely hot. Really untouchable! In fact, the tube type receiver in my radio controlled model airplane ran too hot for the "doped" Silkspan covering.

I cannot visualize what type of finish Collins used on their high-end gear. Wrinkle finish was ideal for high temperature use.

Best regards,
Jerry

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jerry Lehrer" <glehrer@xxxxxxxxxx>