[rollei_list] Re: OT: Leica Film Length-Now Kodachrome

  • From: David Sadowski <dsadowski@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 22:39:26 -0500

If a market for PKR120 had really developed, Kodak probably would have
branched out with a 25 and a 200.  But even 20 years ago, Kodak was
trying to move away from films as slow as 25, which are pretty much
restricted to being used on a sunny day or with flash.

I know at least one photographer who lamented the loss of Kodachrome
10 and refused to use the "fast" 64, but he is an exception.  Now that
Kodachrome is being discontinued, I gave him a roll of Velvia to test.

The 200 speed version came about in part because there was some demand
to push Kodachrome, and the indie labs did offer a 1 1/3 stop push
service.  I wasn't crazy about PKR200 due to the increase in grain.

On the B&W side, there was Technical Pan film with ISO 25, but that
was an adaptation of a graphic arts film with a special developer, and
not really something to replace Panatomic X.  Haven't they now
discontinued the TP and replaced it with something else?