[rollei_list] Re: OT: Leica

  • From: Mark Rabiner <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 02:12:47 -0500

> Technique, yes. Particularly shooting 35 mm...
>
> But getting back to your point, you can typically see the differences
> between just about any lenses enlarging 10x or more, which as you
> point out is routine with miniature format...
>

> Eric Goldstein

Yes people didn't put limits on the print sizes they did from 35mm film
you'd see them in airports and Bus Terminals hundreds of feet across and
those images were viable.

- we used to do a lot of 4x5 internegs from 35mm Kodachrome 25 and you can
blow those up as large as you want with no thinned out look. Printed they
look like  they were shot on 4x5 in the first place. Or darned close.

With extreme blow ups what you normally think of is ok is not.
125th of a seconds hand held you'd think would be a very comfortable speed
with a 50mm or 80mm but at those large mags you'd wish you'd shot those at
250th or 500th and opened up more; and had a lens which worked will opened
up more or wide open.
The held held rule 50mm lens at 50th of a second would be for 5x7's I think.
And not for macro.

Mark William Rabiner