[rollei_list] Re: OT: Leica

  • From: Mark Rabiner <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 17:44:35 -0500

> A more remarkable lens is the 1.5/5cm CZJ Sonnar
> of 1933.  Leitz was unable to MATCH the
> performance of that lens until they produced the
> second version of the 1.4/50 Summilux in
> 1961.  They probably finally exceeded it with the
> new 1.4/50 APO-Summilux but I have yet to buy one of these.
>
> Marc

The LEICA SUMMILUX-M 50 mm f/1.4 ASPH is really cutting edge optical quality
which Erwin Puts says is several generations of lens design away from the
pre ASPH Summilux which was relatively speaking an "old" design. The testing
of the results these optics get reflects this. But again is really only seen
by the people who shoot slow films with tripods and print very large in the
darkroom.

http://en.leica-camera.com/photography/m_system/lenses/2183.html

I use the ASPH Summicron which was the same "generation".

Mark William Rabiner