[rollei_list] Re: OT: Latin sacred art terms needed

  • From: hari ho <hariho@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 12:19:44 +1000

Not exactly the answer but if it would help I think the alterpiece you're referring to is called a 'retable'. It could be a triptych or multipanelled. Perhaps if you follow up 'retable' you might find the terms you're looking for?

On 28/04/2010, at 3:00 PM, Sanders McNew wrote:

Having exhausted my other resources, I turn to this
Most Learned Group for guidance.

I have seen, somewhere, the Latin terms for the left,
center, and right panels of an altar triptych.  For the
life of me I cannot remember where, or otherwise
dig them up on the web.  Can someone help me out
here?  And if no one knows the terms, can someone
give me a Latin translation for these English terms
(right panel, center panel, left panel)?  Would they
be "tabula dextra," "tabula media," "tabula sinistra"?

Anybody?  Anybody?  Bueller?  Anybody?