[rollei_list] Re: OT: Ilford Special Sheet Film Sizes?

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 16:59:54 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Marc James Small" <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, May 18, 2008 4:35 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: OT: Ilford Special Sheet Film Sizes?

At 07:29 PM 5/18/2008, Richard Knoppow wrote:

>   Fora or forae?  Its been more than fifty years since I
>had any latin.
>   Ilford has a product availability list in PDF form at:
>http://www.ilfordphoto.com/Webfiles/200711714387916.pdf
>   This lists a number of very large sizes available as
>"nonstock" items, presumably this means special order.

Forum is a second-declenion (o-stem) noun and
abides by the wide-spread Indo-European "neuter
rule" in which the plural nominative and
accusative ETC snipped...
The accuasative must come in handy in law. No wonder I had trouble with Latin. I can't tell from the PDF what sort of volume Ilford wants for special order stuff but large size sheet film, up to 20x24 are listed for materials like FP-4. Film is made in large, continuous, sheets which are cut down to roll and sheet sizes so special sizes do not require special runs. Of course, there are three different thicknesses of support used, one for 35mm film (and maybe other long roll sizes), another one for roll film, and a third for sheet film. Even of the emulsion is the same the coating must be done separately. BTW, I followed my own suggestion and wrote Ilford asking about true IR film. I don't count on getting a reply but Ilford/Harmon seems more accessible than most companies have become. I suggest that we try to support Ilford because it is one of only two (Fuji is the other) makers of B&W film that have any kind of advanced technology.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx