[rollei_list] OT - "I use a black Leica and wear all black clothes to look unobtrusive and professional"

  • From: Ardeshir Mehta <ardeshir@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 12:23:22 -0500

BEGIN FORWARDED POST:

Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 22:37:19 -0700
From: "Tim Atherton" <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Leica] Professional vs. Amateur look (was R vs M6 Prices)

> I use a black Leica and wear all black clothes to look unobtrusive and
> professional. I also take very good care of my equipment so it also
> looks new and professional. But still, no one likes my photographs and
> people don't treat me as a professional. Even black tape does not > help.

  Ah... #1 problem there - to look like a proper pro you should put your
Leica in the tumble dry (on cool mind you) along with some lose change
and run it for 20 - 30 minutes. Then leave your camera laying around on
the floor in your home/apartment, preferably where the dog/children can
play with it a couple of days. Once it has acquired a proper "patina"
apply a couple of odd stickers to it - say the kind you find stuck on
fruit these days. A strap made from a knotted piece of that purple
cloth tape you find in climbing stores helps too.

As for dress, sometimes a very smelly pipe helps the look, or a rather
odd hat (not Tilley - no pro would ever wear a Tilley - that's for
amateurs, especially doctors and dentists). A black photo vest can
help, but it looks best if it's a tan one you have tried to die it
black yourself, using those little packets of dye that make everything
else you wash go grey for some weeks afterwards. If you must have a tan
vest - get one like Dave Harvey's that was made by a small custom
tailor in a back street in Havana.

Also, a small pewter hip flask can add to the look - preferably one
with the crest of the Soviet Border Police, that you can claim to have
picked up when the Wall fell.

Sand coloured Hush puppies of the sort the Brits call brothel creepers
or desert wellies also add something [...]

END FORWARDED POST

Grey long unruly hair like Einstein's or Ben-Gurion's doesn't hurt,
either.

Cheers.