[rollei_list] Re: OT: Health Care Costs

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 09:22:34 -0400

At 09:07 AM 3/22/2010, Eric Goldstein wrote:
Marc -

Layoffs in the news business do not necessarily correlate to ratings these days... everyone is reorganizing and re-engineering to reflect a dramatically changing marketplace. For example, FOX did a major reorganization and streamlining of it's senior executives about 6 months ago...

In terms of the viewership numbers, again, here they are:

The three broadcast networks typically have a combined household viewership of around 25 million for their nightly newscasts. Fox News' highest rated program, your soul-mate Bill O'Reilly, has a nightly viewership of under 4 million for his broadcast. Viewership of FOX Newscasts is a fraction of that.

Each of the network nightly newscasts bests each of O'Reilly's shows by a factor of 2 or more.

You are completely ignoring what I stated earlier. The claim that Fox makes is a bit disingenuous, but you would have done better to compare apples to apples instead of floating around in the ozone.

First, with the three broadcast networks, here is the ACTUAL comparison: Fox News provides 168 hours a week of coverage, while each of the three broadcast networks probably runs around 13 or 14 hours a week. Obviously, if you aggregate the Fox News audience, they are going to put the competition to bed. As I said, the argument is a bit specious, but it is true.

Second, you keep using O'Reilly as some sort of yardstick. O'Reilly is on from eight to nine PM Eastern Time. He blows the hell out of ABC News, CBS News, and NBC News at that time. Trust me: they are not running news at 8 PM to 9 PM! Network news generally runs from 6:30 to 7 PM, when Fox presents one of its weaker shows, Brett Baer. I suspect Baer's perspective -- the show is aimed towards policy wonks -- is a recognition that they are not going to go head-to-head with the broadcast networks for that single half-hour a day.

Third, Fox News does obliterate CNN and MSNBC, which is the important part of my original story. Fox is a different entity than the broadcast networks and presents a different set of offerings, so a direct comparison can be difficult. But CNN and MSNBC are both quite similar to Fox News and both are older and better established -- and Fox keeps pounding them in the ratings.

Enough said.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!