[rollei_list] Re: OT: Health Care Costs

  • From: "Austin Franklin" <austin.franklin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 21:25:41 -0500

Hi Doug,

>   Austin, when you write that "It should be my choice to get insurance
> or not," I find myself thinking, if Austin gets sick, goes into the
> hospital, runs up a two million dollar bill, doesn't have the money to
> pay that, the cost is passed on to me, and in effect, I end up paying
> for your healthcare.

Well, that's the ignorance (sorry to use that word, and I hope you
understand what I mean by it) of misunderstanding our current health
insurance...and what it covers, or more precisely, doesn't cover.  Even if
you have insurance, and rack up a $2M bill, you are only covered for only a
small part of it.  In my case, $150k.  Fact is, a LARGE majority of people
who declare bankruptcy do so for health care expense reasons, and a LARGE
majority of those people had health insurance.

> That happens all the time to people. I don't want to pay for your
> medical costs because you don't want to pay for health insurance. You
> are not living by yourself on an island.

And...you shouldn't have to.  But, let's say, you are unable to pay your
credit card bill...sooooo...am I now going to be required to buy credit card
insurance?  You do of course realize that one of the claims why the CC
companies have to charge %30 is because of all the people who can't pay
their CC bills, and we have to make up for that somehow?

> BTW, I grew up in a family that did not have health insurance and which
> paid its doctor bills out of pocket. But times have changed.

Er, what has changed?

Regards,

Austin