[rollei_list] Re: OT: Hate the Heat, Love the Cold

  • From: Jerry Lehrer <glehrer@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 14:29:07 -0700

RUGers,

I sort of feel sorry for your extremes of temperature lately, in Europe and most of the USA.

We in La Jolla, California have been subject to temperatures from 68F to 73F, with very low humidity.

Latest news-- I have just retired and celebrated my 83rd birthday. Marc Small and Richard Knoppow
are still youngsters in my view.

Jerry

On 7/13/2012 11:36 AM, Marc James Small wrote:
At 11:54 AM 7/13/2012, CarlosMFreaza wrote:
>2012/7/13  <Dirk-Roger.Schmitt@xxxxxx>:
>>
>> Carlos,
>>
>> we would like to have summer. That means we would LIKE to have
>temperatures above 20 degrees and not below 10 degrees     ;-)
>
>Perhaps I'm misinterpreting you, but 20ºC to 30ºC is a nice summer,
>however if temperatures are higher than 35ºC reaching 40ºC/45ºC
>sometimes, it is not good for the people.

I have two lawn tortoises, Sulcatas, which live in our back yard in the warm weather. When it starts creeping much above 30 deg C, in that French Revolutionary system you people persist in using, even the tortoises look for shade and cool, and crawl into the burrow they have excavated underneath the garden shed (does anyone on the list know of Arthur 'Two Sheds' Jackson?) and we have to bring in the shaggy Hounds From Hell and stash them in the Master Bedroom, which they persist in regarding as their Den. My wife is from Michigan (lower Peninsula, mind you!) and I grew up in Pittsburgh, so we both love the smell of the air when the temperature gets down to -30 C or so. The tortoises do not like the cold weather, but, then I hoist them up and haul them up to the corral for the winter sometime between All Saints' and the first Sunday in Advent. The male is getting on to 50 pounds (27.124 hectares, or should that be 3.34 kilolitres? I get confused. <he grins> It is around 23 kg.) and so he is becoming a bit of a burden as I chase Richard Knoppow into Old Age. Fortunately, my wife has a niece who lives locally and who works at a book stroe, so she can haul amazing amounts about with aplomb. I have warned her to be ready this fall.

We have been having a spate of 40 to 50 deg C (100 deg F) temperatures around here. I've started cracking my crabs indoors.