[rollei_list] Re: OT: Harley Earls and Broadcasting

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 20:10:51 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jerry Lehrer" <glehrer@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, March 24, 2009 7:50 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: OT: Harley Earls and Broadcasting

Richard,

Oh gawd, you make me to have great memories of driving to the top in my 1958 Alfa Romeo Veloce and later in the night driving from the East end of Mullholland Drive all the way to the Pacific Coast Highway. No speed limits! A few years later I did the same drive to PCH while driving a friends 4 cam Carrera 2 at 3 AM! (TWICE). Now, Mullholland Drive is split
up.  And patrolled!

Thanks for reminding me
Jerry Lehrer

My memory is that Mulholland was not paved beyond Sepulveda. I had a 1940 Packard in those days and almost got stuck up there. The Coast road was three lane,the center one being a two-way passing lane, as I am sure you remember, a suicide road. Some more reminders: do you remember Sunset Bl in Beverly Hills had an equestrian tral down the center? The stables were up Doheny, I think. I went up there once (not in the Packard) and got stuck across the dirt road. A couple of fellows from the stables came out with shovels and helped me get it unstuck. Also, Sunset, around Brentwood, had a traffic circle in the middle at a street called Bristol Circle Drive. It had houses on it and people slammed their cars into the walls nearly every day. Bristol Circle is still there but not the traffic circle. Also, do you remeber the oil well in the middle of La Cienega in an island? Around third or forth street I think. Its long gone although it might still be there under the pavement. Not far from there, at Beverly and LaCienega were a golf driving range and pony rides. That property is now the Beverly Center and part of the Cedars-Sinai hospital. I sometimes see the old city when driving instead of what is there now.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA