[rollei_list] Re: OT: Harley Earls and Broadcasting

  • From: Jerry Lehrer <glehrer@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 16:35:02 -0700

Marc,

I have driven/climbed to the top of Mount Lee,(above Hollywood)

Harley Earl is singular NOT plural!

The Lee family sponsored race cars over half a century ago.

Jerry Lehrer

Marc James Small wrote:
Many of us know of Harley Earls. He was the First Vice-President of Design at General Motors from 1927 until 1959. To his credit, he engendered the Corvette. To his discredit, he gave us tail fins. He was featured in a series of Buick ads early in this decade which I loved: it is always wonderful to see a company recognizing its heritage.

Well, Harley Earls has an odd-ball connection with radio broadcasting and also with the name of the hill on which that HOLLYWOOD sign we see so often in movies and TV is spread.

No fair going to Wikipedia.  Richard, what is the connection?

Hint:  the Don Lee Mutual Broadcasting Network.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!