[rollei_list] Re: O.T. Handy Digital Uses

  • From: Michael Eric Berube <pj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 10:02:30 -0400

Most of the point and shoots now also have a 'copy work' setting as well. This comes in very handy if you need to make a copy of a document but haven't a copier nearby.

I also try to (slyly) make a snapshot of anything that the wife says "Oh that's lovely!" while we are shopping. This way I don't have to remember which colour/shape/etc. the item was when a gift giving occasion comes back around.

Also nice to be able to reassure a nervous bride that the back of her 'updo' (or dress) looks as nice as it should for the amount of money she paid for it. Making a photo of the back of her head (or dress) and showing her how it looks is much easier for her to actually see it than having her looking into two opposing mirrors.

Lastly, I ALWAYS carry a digicam with me at all weddings now as well. (Now a Canon SD700IS with a hacked RAW mode.)

I shot a wedding a few years ago for a couple whose venue/minister had to change last minute because of a funeral. When I showed up at the new church with a Nikon D2 and attached SB800 and introduced myself to the new minister prior to the event, she told me that there "was no way that I was going to use that camera in 'her' church!"...not because of the flash (which I could have done without of course), but because she'd "had brides faint dead away at the sound of a camera..." (right!) No matter that this particular bride was previously a photojournalist and used to the sound of a working camera, the Rev. wouldn't budge and strictly forbade anyone in the house from snapping photos. I pulled out my Canon SD300 and snapped a shot of her proving that it was absolutely silent and pointed out that the couple was paying me $400/hr for the ceremony too) and she relented a bit, allowing me to use my point and shoot Canon from the back of the church in the aisle. I shot braced against a pillar as steadily as possible without flash and got a dozen or so photos that were good. No, they weren't D2 good, but they are the only record or the event so the couple cherish them and I came off a resourceful hero to the couple. You never know when an absolutely silent camera will come in handy to save the day.

Be well,
Michael Eric Berube
GOodPhotos.com