[rollei_list] O.T. Handy Digital Uses

  • From: Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 21:49:18 -0500

These little pocket digital cameras have more applications than just taking pictures for showing someone else.

Ever own a car that was so low you couldn't get a look under it? Just take one of these little pocket digitals and set it for close or very-close focusing (usually the symbol is a flower) and hold it under the car pointing it towards your shock or universal joint, and take pictures until you get one that shows the problem, or that you don't have a problem.

Need to get the ID from your new HVAC System but it's in a place you can't see? Just let the camera record it for you, and print the best shot.

Do you have a leak under your new Jet tub or did you just splash water onto the floor? I actually found a leak in the manufacturers flex piping that couldn't be seen but the camera could, from the back angle. The manufacturer, who is local, came out and replaced the pipe on the spot.

Did you ever have your grass sprayed with red, yellow, and green paint to show where the phone, power, cable, and other utilities were buried, but you knew the paint would wash away soon? Just take a few digital shots of the paint, from various angles with nice landmarks in the frame (fence posts, pedestals, etc.) and you will know where it's safe to plant large trees without having 3-4 utility companies come out once more.

Do you have standing water in your yard for a couple of days after the rain, but the builder says it's impossible? Take a few digital shots the next few days and since they are date-stamped, he has no argument.

Forgot the connector layout on the back of your PC tower and it's now so packed in with junk that you can't move it or get your head back there? Take some close-up digital shots, one will surely work out for you.

Have a fancy new Venetian blind built into a glass door, in which the aluminum slats expand and bind at the ends when the sun hits the door? Take some digital pictures of it when it's binding and show it to the vendor later. I got mine replaced- Took 2 months to convince the builder that could actually happen but the digital shots showed through the blind and included the back yard. Took 20 minutes for the vendor to replace the glass blind insert.

Want to prove that the sub-contractor didn't install the stove anti-tip bracket, or another sub didn't install the gas log tie-down screws. Just put that little bugger in there (under the stove with the bottom drawer out) or in the fireplace, and you can prove your contention.

I know this is off topic, and I have more examples, but you get the idea.

Regards,

DAW