[rollei_list] Re: OT: Getting into 4x5 for the first time...

  • From: Dennis Purdy <dlp4777@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 09:22:21 -0700

On Mar 28, 2008, at 09:14, John Wild wrote:

I use a QR plate. One day when I moved the camera on the tripod, the
camera fell to the ground; the QR mechanism had not locked properly. I
was not 'happy' but the damage was fortunately only minor mechanical and
not optical. Now I always check.....

John

it happened to me once with a Bogen hex plate at the top of a ladder with the tripod at maximum height with a wooden 8x10 and a 14 inch lens. The lens escaped any injury at all but the camera was a total loss. It was a concrete floor. Still I prefer that 4x4 Bogen plate to the Rolleifix for my Rollei because all 4 feet on the camera sit on the plate and the Rolleifix is very easy to miss seat when you think you got it right and you don't. You have to make sure and double sure before letting go of the camera.

Dennis

Almost April and I am watching the ground get covered in snow in Portland Oregon.