[rollei_list] Re: OT Firefox - Windows memory

  • From: Robert Lilley <54moggie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 08:54:00 -0400

I would agree. I am also running Windows XP using Vmware on my iMac and it does run faster than on a PC.

Rob

On Sep 2, 2009, at 5:01 AM, John Wild wrote:

I am certain that Windows does not relinquish all memory when a program or a file is closed. Whether this is part of the 'help to find recently used files more quickly' scenario or not I don't know. It pays to restart a PC on
a regular basis to free up the memory.

I have a digital picture frame which has a (mini?) version of windows
running. Every couple of days it says it has run out of memory and locks up. It is only cycling through digipix from a memory card but obviously each time it does this, it uses a bit of the onboard memory which is then not
released.......

I also find that with a new installation, a PC is quite fast. Over a period of time, the whole thing slows down dramatically. No additional programs having been installed. I guess it's Windows downloading 'stuff' for itself. I have a PC running Windows 2000 and it is faster than later computers with faster processors and 'more efficient' XP. Microsoft stopped supporting 2000
so there are no updates to clog the system!

Now, with my Mac I have no problems like that. Even running Windows XP in a Vmware window using half of a 'Duo' processor, Windows seems to run better
than on a PC!

John

On 01/09/2009 23:30, "Ferdi Stutterheim" <fstutterheim@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

.... also slow to relenquish memory when closed.

That would explain the "lack of memory" problems I have run into
recently. I suppose it would be better to keep FF open instead of
closing it after use and reopening later.

Ferdi.