[rollei_list] Re: OT Firefox

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2009 14:01:37 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Marc James Small" <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, September 01, 2009 1:46 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: OT Firefox

At 04:27 PM 9/1/2009, Richard Knoppow wrote:

> Even the current version of FF is slow loading and also
>slow to relenquish memory when closed. I don't know why,
>maybe its just big. It is faster than the version we had for
>a time which was exceptionally slow.
>    I still prefer FF to IE especially since I can run Ad
>Block Plus on it.

I was an early user of FireFox and loved
it.  Then, about four months back, it refused to
allow me to do anything of a secure nature and
told me my security settings were improperly
set.  I have done everything I could think of to
correct this, from unistalling it and
reinstalling a new version to contacting the
Mozilla "help" section and is that a losing
proposition!  Mozilla Help makes Microsoft Help
seem positively forthcoming and user-friendly.

NetScape is now spurlos versunkt, but I did have
a late copy installed -- NetScape and I go back
to the days before IE existed -- so now I have to
use either IE or NetScape when I want to order
something online or check my bank balance.  And
the current version of IE is quite unstable.

It's enough to make me yearn for the days of pen
and paper and typewriters and chisels and stone
tablets and, yes, chemical darkrooms and film cameras ....

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!

The problem is that Windows often does not really completely un-install programs because it stores parts of them all over. Often, when you think you have done a complete replacement of a program you find that it still has the same settings. I don't know a good cure for this. I use FF for just about everything including a number of "secure" sites such as on-line banking. Also, sometimes what looks like a problem with one program is actually coming from another. For instance, I could not install AdBlock Plus until I had a problem with Zone Alarm and completely re-installed it. After that all sorts of problems went away. You might try uninstalling and re-installing any firewalls or anti-virus programs you are running. They can sit in the background and raise hob with all sorts of things.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA