[rollei_list] Re: OT: Film vs Digital to preserve archives

  • From: "Jeff Kelley" <thocker@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 10:57:04 -0700

Peter, I agree with what you write.

I worked as an Engineer with Sony for several years. I was dealling with CDROM hardware and software when it first appeared. A blank CD cost about $30 then. That's $30 EACH!

CDROM is no different than hard drive technology as far as how fragile it is. I've had several failures of GOLD CDROMs over the years. These were state-of-the-art-quality gold blanks, stored in cases, in the dark, at normal room temperatures and humidity.

These were verified byte by byte as good when written and stored, but when pulled out of storage approximately 5 years later were unreadable. It was random and occasional but scared me enough to never trust priceless stuff to any digital backup method unless making two or three redundant copies. I've had my share of hard drive failures as well....

I've actually reverted to film for much of my photography after going digital a few years back. I was down to one 35mm film camera last year but now have 2 medium format systems, one being my Rolleiflex MX-EVS, and 3 35mm film cameras.

Our grandchildren won't be seeing many photos of their grandparents in 30 years if those photos are being stored digitally.

I can't read an 8 inch floppy disk, or play a spool of wire recorded on a wire-recorder. In 30 years, my grandkids will no doubt look at my DVD R+ disc and wonder what in the world it might be.

-Jeff-

My first wife helped develop the IBM Displaywriter, with its 2 8-inch floppies, the "toaster" -- ever even SEEN an 8-inch floppy? And I'm not that ancient.

Pick up an 8 year old 3.5 floppy.  Odds are it will be DS, and you can't
rven read it.  Unless you regularly transfer data, hard drive to hard
drive, digital data is FAR MORE FRAGILE than the human memory.  At least
it takes 75+ years for a human to become obsolete...

Its all just a way for manufacturers to shove you the latest trendy &^%$.
 "Practical?"  who you kiddin?  Whatever can be portrayed as fashionable
to the rich and clueless...

PJ Nebergall