[rollei_list] Re: OT: Film vs Digital to preserve archives

  • From: bigler@xxxxxxxx
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 16:56:50 +0200 (CEST)

> The RUG Digistar archives loss....digital technology is producing
> valuable documents requires to establish systems to preserve these
> documents and they are very expensive in part because they demand an
> upgrading for short periods:
> http://www.archives.gov/preservation/conferences/papers-2003/puglia.html
> All the best Carlos

Thanks for the link, Carlos. This is extremely interesting.

For my leisure activity in photography, I came to the conclusion that
my images will be on film as long as film is available. Not that I do
not use digital images, on the contrary, I use them for my job and for
home use, for a nominal fee, I can have my color negs scanned and
transferred to a CD-ROM so that I can share the image with friends
easily.

But I still have the film as the master archive. Even is I do
absolutely nothing, I still have film stacked somewhere under a pile
of newspapers of Prochnow volumes. Sorting things from time to time,
you re-discover your images without need for electricity, computers or
software ;-)

The other reason is that I'm perfectly happy with my collection of
mechanical film cameras, I let others support research and
development, I have a thought for professionals that *have* to go
digital in order to keep-up with the competition. So, dear
professionals and other digital friends, please, do buy a lot of
digital cameras and sell a lot of images and please support as much as
you can a quick turn-around of digital tehnology so that we amateurs
can eventually benefit of large size sensors at a reasonable price in
the next future.

So I'll re-consider the issue

- either when color film will be wiped out of this planet, then I can
  always do tri-chromatic images on 3 B&W color-filtered slides like
  Prokudin-Gorskii in Russia one century ago ;-) or re-do Autochromes
  with potatoe starch and hand-picked RGB colors ;-)

- or that 56x56mm silicon sensors are available at a price that does
  not exceed the price for a good-user second-hand Rollei TLR.

- the ultimate wish (already discussed here, pardon for redundancy,
  biut for the moment the old RUG archives are hard to access ;-)
  being that this 56x56mm sensor does not need more energy that a
  wind/rewind movement of the crank a Rollei TLR fitted with the
  "electrical generator" option ;-);-)

--
Emmanuel BIGLER
<bigler@xxxxxxxx>