[rollei_list] O.T. Feynman, the last post

  • From: Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 21:35:09 -0500

I have mentioned a letter from Richard Feynman to his first wife, written two years after her death. I had some conflict about the copyright notices in the book and said that I would get permission to send the letter to those who requested it or post it to the group as a whole.

Subsequently, two things happened.

1. I got an email from Mike Gottlieb
(Editor, The Feynman Lectures on Physics Definitive Edition)
---
<http://www.feynmanlectures.info>www.feynmanlectures.info

who had, in some way, found my messages to the Rollei_list. I have asked how he got the posting but haven't received a response yet. He is cited in the book of letters as helping Michelle Feynman sort and assemble some of the material. He suggested, possibly tentatively, that it might be O.K. to publish one of the letters to a small group, however I decided to proceed with getting permission from the Authors, and started down that track.

2. Richard Knoppow did a search for the letter with more precise terms and found that it had already been posted on the web, and sent along the URL.

http://discardedlies.com/entry/?52984

The above site contains the letter in question as well as two comments posted by me.

One final comment. I know this is pretty much off topic, but as I said before, photography rides along on physics. Also, there were a considerable number of folks who responded to my first offer to send the letter off-list.

To those who know nothing about Feynman or don't care to know, please accept this note and let it pass on to your bit bucket.

To those who are interested, a simple Google search for "Richard Feynman" brings up lots of interesting things, including, much to my surprise, several interesting videos. It is clear from those video interviews that several of Feynmans shorter and more humorous books were made by transcribing from his discussions in the videos.

Regards and apologies to all,

DAW