[rollei_list] Re: OT Estate Tex (was Re: Copyright Law)

  • From: "Austin Franklin" <austin.franklin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 10:41:16 -0500

Hi Eric,

> Because Mickey used his brain and structured the assets so there would not
be a problem...

I believe "Mickey" got the laws changed with their vast corporate power to
suit their "needs".  But, again, "structuring" is playing games.  Why is it
that a law has to be complicated, that only if you pull lever "A" and press
button "B" are you entitled?

> As for what is "fair," that is a matter of personal judgment.

Agreed.

> As for who uses the term "Death Tax," please find me an example of a
> progressive using that term. It is solely within the vocabulary of right
> wing talk show bloviators/politicians...

It is used in the IRS publication:

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-soi/ninetyestate.pdf

> As for the facts, we now know that a very small minority of wealthy
individuals
> are impacted by this tax, a very significant fact which your original post
> omitted and implied other-wise...

You're being "sensational" now.  I never said or implied how many people
were impacted, and the number simply does not matter to me.  You consider it
a significant fact, and that's only your opinion.  It does not make you
right (or wrong).  I do not consider it a significant fact.

If the number of people murdered were less than the number of people
impacted by this tax, would that mean we should just let the murders go
about their business?  To me, wrong is wrong, and the number impacted should
not matter.

You believe it's OK for the government to simply take additional money from
someone that earned it and already paid taxes on it, and I don't.  My guess
is, we're never going to agree.

At what percent of the population would applying an "estate tax" make it
"wrong"?  I really don't see why right or wrong has to do with a percentage
of people that are "wronged" (or "righted" for that matter).

Regards,

Austin