[rollei_list] OT: Episcopalians

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 00:46:39 -0400

At 03:02 PM 3/23/2008, Robert Lilley wrote:

 >As for us, well, we are Episcopalians who continued down the path of
 >expediency and higher biblical criticism so far that we've become just=
 plain
 >old liberal human secularists.

Hmm.  The ECUSA (Episcopal Church in the US of A)=20
has lost 2/3 of its membership over the past=20
forty years.  Most of those drifting away well,=20
just drifted.  Some did become Catholic or=20
Orthodox or Baptist or, probably, Ba'hai, but,=20
for the most part, most folks just drifted off in=20
refusal to accept the meaningless and rushed=20
changes forced on the liturgy and hierarchy of=20
the Church and most have just been sitting around rather dazed by it all.

Every decade or so I try to reconnect with the=20
ECUSA but always find the experience rather=20
unfulfilling.  When I can find a Church which=20
runs a Rite I 8:00 AM service on a Sunday, I=20
might well be there, or for the imposition of=20
ashes on Ash Wednesday, or the like but, for the=20
most part, I tend to say my private prayers and=20
restrict my Church attendance to occasions when I=20
feel a need to have the Sacrament administered by=20
someone who is in Holy Orders within a Church=20
which has maintained the Apostolic Succession,=20
regardless of the Priest's political and social bent.

Two dioceses in the ECUSA are leaving the=20
Church.  One has already done so and everything=20
save for Excommunication has poured out of=20
ECUSA.  The other is being more stately in its=20
exit, and this is my old Dioceses, that of=20
Western Pennsylvania, in the Cathedral of which I=20
used to be a choirboy, back in the=20
Longago.  Right on, Brothers!  (One of our List=20
members occasionally subs in my old Church,=20
Trinity Cathedral, as an organist.  The=20
Presbyterians next door ALWAYS sing louder but,=20
then, one of the defining marks of being an=20
Anglican is an inability to sing with much=20
volume!  Even Samuel Gelbfisz, of MGM, once=20
bounced a picture which included a scene set in=20
an Episcopal Church where the congregation was=20
singing lustily:  "Jews intone, Catholics chant,=20
and Baptists, now the Baptists sing.  But=20
Episcopalians?  They mouth the words.")

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh b=E0s fir gun ghr=E0s fir!