[rollei_list] Re: OT: Enlargers/darkroom (again) (longish)

  • From: Bernard <bernard_cousineau@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 20:30:58 -0500

All of these setups seem like overkill to me - it's a hobby (one of several), I have a very young child (takes time) a new business (takes time) and a girlfriend (takes time). On the one hand, I'd like to find a setup I can use the next 20 years (or more), i.e. do it right the first time. On the other, I'm thinking this is a lot of money for a hobby, and I could probably get by just fine for now with a cheapo Meopta or similar, and pick up something more solid in a few years time. On the third hand, it feels easier to use money on lenses and camera gear than on darkroom stuff, for some reason.

I think that a 4x5 enlarger can be less practical than a proper 6x6 enlarger for Rollei negatives. Large format enlargers typically have huge neg carriers and are meant for lenses of 150mm or longer. This means that you will be fiddling around more trying to position your negatives (or unmounted chromes), and you may have a harder time focussing against a fully compressed bellows (or you may need a recessed lens board, which is a pain).
Another problem is that a light source which is designed to make huge prints from 4x5 negs is probably much too powerful for dodging and burning smaller prints from medium format negs.
Ideally, I want to have exposure times between 15 and 30 seconds at my lens's optimal stop (5.6 for a good 80mm). If you are pumping 500 or more watts into an area 54mm square, you may be looking at printing times of less than 5 seconds. This makes perfect sense in a commercial lab, but it is practically useless for fine printing.
If you later start shooting large format, you may find (as I have) that having two enlargers is the better setup.

Bernard