[rollei_list] Re: OT: Enlargers (revisited)

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 16:28:11 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Douglas Nygren" <dnygr@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, November 20, 2005 3:50 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: OT: Enlargers (revisited)

Thor, I'm going to answer part of your email. Others will answer more, I hope.

I like Durst and Omega enlargers. I use an Omega. I can enlarge 4x5 and smaller on mine. Bigger I don't need, though if I shot 8x10 I might want that. However, 8x10 as a contact print looks great, so maybe I don't.

I use Schneider and Rodonstock lenses. I don't pay much attention to the rest, though I think you get what you pay for when it comes to grain focuers. Get a good one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As for easels, you need one that is easily admustable. I think it needs to have a knob. Others may disagree.

And finally, I want to congratulate you on your good taste. While your digital camera, if you have one, will be obsolete in days, your wet darkroom won't. You won't suffer from eye strain and in 10 years you won't need to upgrade your enlarger to read your negatives, that is, if you can find something that would still be compatible.

Digital is nice. Too bad the next generation won't know how we looked.

Best--Doug Nygren

Only a couple of things to add. Omega is still made and parts are available. Durst does not support many of its older models, if you buy one make sure everything is working and nothing is missing. Durst's best models are industrial grade and excellent given the caution above.
I don't know what these people mean by sturdy. To me a Rollei is sturdy. You should pay attention to the rigidity of the enlarger, especially when its set for maximum enlargement. Vibration is the enemy of sharpness.
I don't know about having a larger enlarger than you need. They get big and are more vibration prone as the format goes up. I have a 4x5 enlarger because I shoot a lot of 4x5 and use it for that. I also use it for formats from 35mm up to its limit. An enlarger for formats larger than 4x5 becomes unwieldy. A 5x7 is still reasonable for a home darkroom, an 8x10 is not unless you have lots of room.
I don't know what is available in Europe and don't know Devere models well enough to comment on them other than the ones I've seen were definitely industrial strength machines. I have an Omega D2v, which has an adjustable condenser system. The Omega D5 is probably the best of the 4x5 Omega's. It has longer bellows draw so it does not need auxiliary snoots and has a continuously adjustable condenser.
Color heads are useful for color work, of course, but also work well for variable contrast paper. If you get an enlarger with a color head make sure it has dichroic filters not dye filters. The latter have a very short lifetime and poor selectivity, they are not satisfactory.
Get the best lenses you can. However, Rodenstock, Schneider, and Nikon enlarging lenses are very similar in performance. While the current lenses are a bit better than older ones even the old chrome barrel Schneider Componon is an excellent lens and are often cheap.
As with anything used condition is everything.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx