[rollei_list] Re: OT: Enlargers (revisited)

  • From: Thor Legvold <tlegvold@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 01:15:44 +0100

Hi Doug,

thanks for your reply.

No, I don't have a digital camera (well, there is one built into my phone, and in my video camera). I bought my wife one last Christmas and said it was her responsability to get pictures of our son to send to family & friends electronically - I'm staying with film as long as I can. Shooting APX100 (have to find a replcament, am now on Plus-X Pan until I get things sorted out), Tri-X (320 and 400) and Velvia 50. Running Kodachrome 64 through the 35mm kit :-).

Looking forward to setting up a small darkroom in an extra bathroom/shower at my office.

Now I have to start making a priority list - darkroom vs Rollei TLR vs new Nikon optics vs RF system ;-). Decisions, decisions...

Cheers,
Thor

On 21 Nov, 2005, at 0:50, Douglas Nygren wrote:

Thor, I'm going to answer part of your email. Others will answer more, I hope.

I like Durst and Omega enlargers. I use an Omega. I can enlarge 4x5 and smaller on mine. Bigger I don't need, though if I shot 8x10 I might want that. However, 8x10 as a contact print looks great, so maybe I don't.

I use Schneider and Rodonstock lenses. I don't pay much attention to the rest, though I think you get what you pay for when it comes to grain focuers. Get a good one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As for easels, you need one that is easily admustable. I think it needs to have a knob. Others may disagree.

And finally, I want to congratulate you on your good taste. While your digital camera, if you have one, will be obsolete in days, your wet darkroom won't. You won't suffer from eye strain and in 10 years you won't need to upgrade your enlarger to read your negatives, that is, if you can find something that would still be compatible.

Digital is nice. Too bad the next generation won't know how we looked.

Best--Doug Nygren

--- Rollei List