[rollei_list] Re: OT: Enlargers

  • From: TrueBadger@xxxxxxx
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 19:39:45 EST

I just want to offer a little food for thought here.

I  see the discussion favoring machines that other than used, would normally
be at or beyond the budgetary limits of most individuals printing only for
themselves.  Said machines, DeVeres, Dursts, etc. are now relatively plentiful
on
the market, even to the point of at least one 10x10 Durst I know of offered
free to anyone who will haul it away.  The larger the physical size of the
machine, the fewer takers and the lower the used cost relative to new cost.

What I would like to point out is the idea that the more computerization or
automation these high-end used bargains are equipped with, the more likely they
are to become uneconomic to maintain or repair the first time circutry fails.
 Almost any elarger can be maintained mechanically indefinitely at minor
expense.  Built in computers and electronics are another matter.  Replacement
parts will NOT be available for most of these models twenty years from now, if
even ten, and a service call could well wind up costing more than the entire
machine.

If it were me, I'd keep my choice as basic and purely mechanical as possible.

G. King