[rollei_list] Re: OT: Electronic Connectivity

  • From: Elias_Roustom <elroustom@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 May 2010 13:42:28 -0400

This must be the Lehrer reference:
http://dmdb.org/lyrics/lehrer.wasted.html#6

And the facts on Al and the internet are here:
http://www.snopes.com/quotes/internet.asp
It doesn't take much to set even yourself straight anymore - you just have to go to the trouble.
Al's alright in my book. I was just making a joke.

Elias

On May 6, 2010, at 12:09 PM, Allen Zak wrote:

On May 5, 2010, at 11:13 PM, Don Williams wrote:

At 08:51 PM 5/5/2010, you wrote:
Al Gore? What was it that he invented? The Internet? Global Warming? Let me think now. The gall bladder?? No, that was from a Tom Lehrer record. Let me think now.

John
I think he simply got rich by way of Global Warming.

He claims to have invented the Internet but that was really invented (in a practical way) by Tim Berneres-Lee:

http://www.w3.org/People/Berners-Lee/

I do remember that before then I sold computers to the Naval Systems Center in San Diego for what was then called ARPANET, in the days of Unix-only and CP/M. Those were the days.

DAW

Ridiculing Al Gore is its own kind of fun, but he never claimed to have invented the internet. That was done for him by global warming deniers who were quite successful in making it stick. Actually, Gore ran interference/carried water for enabling legislation that helped bring the US into it, so he does have some pioneering status in establishing the internet. Nor did he invent global warming, the actual process of which came about while industry generated untold riches for a small minority of shareholders and continues to do so as those aforementioned beneficiaries stall or undermine any attempt to change the status quo. Al Gore is well known as a funny guy who can take a joke, but I don't think the ecosystem has much of a sense of humor.

What Tom Lehrer song involves a gall bladder?

Allen Zak