[rollei_list] OT: Developing Tanks

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2010 11:34:49 -0400

At 11:22 AM 7/25/2010, Richard Knoppow wrote:

>My introduction to
>tanks was the old Yankee plastic tank where the film was
>pushed into the reel. That is sometimes difficult and I
>didn't know the trick of truncating the corners of the film
>which prevents it from catching as you push it. FR and other
>tanks have an oscillating side so that the tank works the
>film onto the reel, very easy to load.

>     I mostly have ancient Nikor tanks. The caviet about
>them, and probably all SS tanks, is that the lids and caps
>were individually fitted.

First, all Yankee tanks have "oscillating" loading: you walk the film onto the reel. Very easy and bullet-proof.

Second, almost all metal tanks made after 1965 or so, save for Nikor, have plastic lids which are liquid-tight. They do wear out, even the lids on Kindermann tanks.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!