[rollei_list] Re: OT Culture (was Re: OT History)

  • From: Slobodan Dimitrov <s.dimitrov@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 18:01:28 -0800

Patronage by the wealthy has been used since the classical period to
in-debt a population. Nothing new here. It was resisted repeatedly as
the past shows.
In this case I would recommend for a closer scrutiny;
Patronage in Ancient Society, ed. Andrew Wallace-Hadrill, 1990.
It's amazing how much of this social mannerism can be seen in the
mimicry we call Neoclassicism.
S. Dimitrov

On Jan 31, 2005, at 5:29 PM, Eric Goldstein wrote:

> Richard Knoppow wrote:
>
>> Corporations no longer have the philosophy that
>> thay owe anything to the public plus changes in tax laws
>> over the years have made much former charitable or cultural
>> donation no longer deductible. Publically held businesses
>> follow the rule that maximising return on investment for
>> their stockholders is their _only_ responsibility and will
>> do that regardless of any costs to the society that they
>> exist in.
>
> (snipped)
>
> First, this is a grossly misstated over-generalization, to which there
> are
> hundreds of thousands if not millions of exceptions (in the form of
> donations from US private and public companies).
>
> Second, private donations have always dwarfed corporate donations to
> charitable institutions as a whole and to the arts specifically. If you
> would actually like to see some facts regarding trends in corporate and
> private giving to the arts specifically and charities generally, see:
>
> http://www.mtn.org/mca/factspgs/giving.html
>
> http://www.law.harvard.edu/faculty/
> fferrell/pdfs/charitable_giving1.pdf
>
> amongst other references available on the net. Any short-term effects
> in
> diminished corporate or private charitable gifts seem to be a
> consequence of
> short term economic and political conditions, and not a general trend.
>
> I return to my original statement, which is accurate, that generally
> fewer
> and fewer Americans choose to consume/support a traditional type of
> culture
> and cultural institution. They (and hundreds of millions of people all
> over
> the world) do however make and consume different cultural choices
> which are
> less traditional.
>

> Eric Goldstein

Slobodan Dimitrov