[rollei_list] Re: OT: Contax IIa number 2

  • From: Thor Legvold <tlegvold@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 03 May 2006 17:51:15 +0200

Hi Jerry,

actually, if it's collapsable, I would prefer a rubber hood. That would make it easier to fold together for putting in a case.

Do you know of any sources?

Tangentally, I looked at Luigi's cases (I remember hearing about some Leica people raving about them). Talk about Leica prices! 155 Euro for a case??? That's just about what I paid for the camera with lens....

Any ideas as to other lightweight/small cases? I have two 'ever ready' original Contax IIa cases, but they are so big and bulky I'd rather not use them. I'd like something small and light, similar to Luigi's (but at a realistic price).

Cheers,
Thor

On 3 May, 2006, at 17:30, Jeffery Smith wrote:

I was lucky enough to get a generic hood with mine. The cost of metal hoods these days is totally out of sight. I would never have dreamed of paying $75 to $125 for a lens hood 30 years ago. You may have to settle for a rubber hood.

At 10:23 AM 5/3/2006, you wrote:
has just arrived.

Well, what can I say :-). This one looks brand new, not a scratch or mark, leading me to reevaluate the first one I received last Friday, which did have some small amounts of wear in the paint and chrome. This one is spotless, except for some dust in the viewfinder. Even the leather covering is without marks (although with a few required 'Zeiss Bumps' on the back).

The one that came today is a Black Dial version, the previous was Colour Dial. The shutter on the new one will need a CLA, it's obviously uneven and sluggish, but delightfully quiet in comparison to the colour dial one. The lens is 'only' a f2 50mm Sonnar Opton (with T mark), but also looks to be in excellent condition. If I decide to swap lenses (i.e. fastest glass on cleanest body), will I be messing up a 'matched set' or anything (thinking of any potential collectors who might take offence)?

I also received the first roll of film back from processing (taken with the colour dial 50/1.5). Wow! Whoever said I shouldn't expect it to perform like modern glass might want to try some 'old' glass again and see if they are still of that opinion. Great colours, very high contrast, no flare (even shooting into the light, with a hood of course), extreme detail. I'm impressed.

The included hood ("Ednalite" model 601 thread adapter and 6B shade, 55mm diametre) did cause some vignetting. It's either not big enough or too far out (because of the step up adapter), or both.

Anyone know where I can find a hood that fits/is designed for the lens, either original or after market?

Cheers,
Thor

--- Rollei List