[rollei_list] Re: OT: Contaces and Kiev RF's

  • From: Nick Roberts <nickbroberts@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 21:42:06 +0000 (GMT)

Indeed, Marc - but he includes later Kievs that were not assembled from Contax
parts in this assessment, and is of the opinion that detail engineering changes
in the II and III at Arsenal led to greater reliability. I pass this on
second-hand, as I have but a later Kiev 4 which is OK but nothing special.
Although he hasn't got quite the literary pedigree you have, he is actually a
published author in the Leica world. I can't recall how many Kiev variants he
has identified, but it's either 53 or 56 - I have a copy of his work on the
topic on CD somewhere, but would confess that I've not looked at it for a
couple of years.

Although I have always liked the Contax and Kiev rangefinders, my personal
interest lies rather more in the somewhat bizarre Kiev 10 and 15.

And for the purposes of my original post, Peter, the early Kievs are not only
Contaxes in all but name, but they're even more interesting pieces of history
as a result.

Nick