[rollei_list] OT: Contaces and Kiev RF's

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 12:46:59 -0400

At 09:26 AM 10/17/2006, Nick Roberts wrote:

Ah, but which Kiev? And which Contax? I know a guy who has an example of every Kiev out, as well as several Contaxes, and he is of the opinion that the early Kievs are at the very least as good as the Contaxes, and sometimes better.

Good for your friend. It has been established for some years that the early Kiev II were assembled in the Ukraine from parts made at Jena. The actual flow goes: Dresden Contax (I, II, and III), Jena Contax (II and III), Kiev II and III (German parts assembled at Jena), Kiev II and III (German parts assembled at the Arsenal Works in Kiev), Kiev II, III, and so forth, up to the 4M and 4AM. There is a rich literature on these cameras including the ZEISS COMPENDIUM which I co-authored with Charlie Barringer. (None of this is especially new: there is a picture published in the NEW YORK TIMES in 1947 showing a German technician at Jena assembling a Kiev II complete with its Cyrillic nameplate.)

So, no, the early Kievs are not "at the very least as good as the Contaxes and sometimes better" as the early Kievs ARE Contaxes -- Jena Contax cameras in a Cyrillic sheep's clothing. (I own every Kiev variant save for the 5 and a LOT of Prewar and Postwar Contax gear.)

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!