[rollei_list] Re: OT: Capa's Type

  • From: "Marvin" <marvin0@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 09:31:39 +0800

I was in Africa shooting with a M4P. I placed my bag on the ground and the
camera was struck slightly rigorously. The M4P has a ridiculous design using
an aluminium rewind crank. The crank was deformed and would neither move
forwards nor backwards. From that moment on the camera remained inoperative.
A Nikon FM2 on the other hand is virtually indestructible. (I think the same
could be said for Rollei TLR's in some ways, though the shutter mechanisms
are delicate and the whole system relies upon it.)
This may be why journalists moved over to Nikon, sturdier build, and a more
flexible and forgiving system overall. It seems now Leica have moved away
from the flimsy designs M6-M4P, back to the tank like construction, of the
M2/3.

Marvin.