[rollei_list] Re: OT CFLs ( was Re: another Epson scan)

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2006 08:28:14 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Eric Goldstein" <egoldste@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, August 06, 2006 7:37 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] OT CFLs ( was Re: another Epson scan)

Several different sources of cheap CFLs... our local utility has a
program of offering them at highly discounted rates:

http://www.estarlights.com/

But several local "closeout" wharehouse stores sell them for half
these prices... 50 cents to a buck a piece. Another advantage... they
burn much much cooler and don't contribute to your a/c load in the hot
months.

Relative to color temp, long gone are the days when these lamps
produced a horrendous, spikey, green/blue light that make you look
like a friend of Orson Wells' Mercury Theatre. To the eye they appear
to give a much more natural light than the average obviously orange
incandescent...

Eric Goldstein

I have several compact lamps, I use them where lamps are left on for relatively long periods. The current ones look about like incandescent lamps and don't have visible flicker. However, they sell for $5 or more each at places like Home Depot. I haven't checked Costco yet, not even sure they have lamps. Fluorescent lamps of all sorts are electrically noisy, not the thing to have in the ham shack. Also, while fluorescent lamps do not generate as much heat as incandescent lamps they do like to run hot and run continuously.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx