[rollei_list] Re: OT: Bristol Wrenches

  • From: Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 13:57:30 -0500

At 02:53 AM 7/29/2010, Richard wrote, in part:
Anyone who wants Bristol wrenches can get them from the original manufacturer and Xcelite makes a set of screwdriver style Bristol wrenches. I got my Bristol keys from Max Gain (do a Google search) and the Xcelite set from Test Equipment Depot (again a Google search will find them). The keys are cheap, the Xcelite set not so cheap. The reason for the exotic tools is that I am working on a Collins receiver and Collins was fond of Bristol screws. There are at least a dozen different odd screw caps these days. Most intended for use with power equipment. I think the reason Collins chose Bristol is because they are a lot less likely than Allen heads to be damaged by camming of the wrench. All too often one finds Allen set screws where the corners of the socket are so badly damaged that the screw has to be removed with an EZout.
--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA

I surely agree with you about Allen and also Phillips. I have often had to grind or file them down to restore them to duty. It's interesting how most folks choose a smaller-than-required Phillips screw driver and thus damage the driver and the screw. (I must be one of them).

Also, I have forgotten the name, but what drive is similar to Phillips but a bit better, less camming, etc.?

DAW